Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Technical equality

Maybe it's just me, but I get irritated every time I'm fighting off the cable of the iron when I'm ironing. I constantly have to throw it back to the far end of the iron board in order to avoid it from making new, unintended folds in the shirts I'm trying to REMOVE folds from.

And that's when it hit me:
How come the cordless electric drill was already invented in 1961 and the cordless electric hedge trimmer was invented in as early as in 1962 (according to Black & Decker), and that the cordless electric screw driver was invented more more than two decades ago when I still have to battle that blasted iron cord?















I can't help thinking that it is a question of gender inequality - or maybe just a lack of female inventors in the realm of electronic devices. Sadly, it might also be a sign that few men iron their own shirts, STILL in 2010! If they did, I'm sure the cordless iron would have been invented ages ago!

What I don't understand is why the producers of irons haven't seen the huge potential for profit in inventing it, male inventor and owners or not. It was after all a man that invented the washing machine, the dryer, the dish washer, and the vacuum cleaner, all tools which existence I'm grateful for every time I press that start button - ok, except for the vacuum cleaner. I'm still waiting for the day someone invents a light AND effective vacuum cleaner that doesn't cost a fortune, although I have high hopes for the further development of the Roomba!

So all you technical inventors, take a break from your current drafts of technical devices primarily targeted for men's entertainment and take a good look at how you can take the remaining cord enslaved technical devices for tedious house work a step into the 21st century!

Post a Comment