Friday, April 24, 2009

Lucky Day

Whoa! I just used my luck quota for the whole year: As I was heading for a meeting with the Prosthetics Outreach Foundation, I realized that I had forgotten that I never brought home my bike from Café Septième on Broadway this past Monday! By unrealistic luck, it was still there. Thus broadly smiling I biked the few blocks to the POF in perfect time for the meeting.

50 minutes later, I'm back on the street, but NOW my bike is gone! I look around, don't see it anywhere nearby, so I start walking a bit down the street. I notice a bus stop about 100 yards ahead and see a man trying to mount a bike to a bus that just stopped there. I feel lucky, so I run down to the bus, and sure enough, THAT'S MY BIKE! I grab the handle looking firmly at the man: "That's my bike! I have the key for this lock, you don't!" Fortunately, the bus driver sees everything too since in Seattle, the bikes are mounted in front of the bus. Shortly after the man gives up his story (someone sold it to me for $50. You give me $50 then) and gives me my bike. I unlock it and walk away shaking by the experience (I always get that right after an attempted stealing episode), but smiling at my IMMENSE luck!!! 30 seconds later, and my bike would be gone!!!

In respect of the limits of luck's nature, I walk to the bikeshop and make them tighten my exisiting luck and buy an Amsterdam proof bike lock, too, just to be sure.

May luck smile on all good people this sunny weekend!

No comments: